Best Self Propelled Petrol Lawn Mowers UK 2019
Best Self Propelled Petrol Lawn Mowers UK 2019
|Position||Image||Petrol Mower Review||Power||Deck Size||Score|
|1||Hyundai HYM430SP||139cc 4 Stroke||42cm Cutting Width||9.8/10||Check Price|
|2||P1PE P5100SPE||173 cc 4 Stroke||51cm cutting width||9.8/10||Check Price|
|3||Honda Izy HRG 466 SK||160cc 4 Stroke||46cm cutting width||9.6/10||Check Price|
|4||Einhell GC-PM 46 S||139 cc 4 Stroke||46cm cutting width||9.5/10||Check Price|
|5||BMC Lawn Racer||75HP 4 Stroke||42cm Cutting Width||9.2/10||Check Price|
Best Self Propelled Petrol Lawn Mowers UK 2019
1. Hyundai HYM430SP Self Propelled 139cc Petrol Lawn Mower
While better known for well-priced reliable cars, Hyundai make some fine lawnmowers. The HYM430SP is a case in point. This lawn mower has a decent 139cc 4-stroke engine that is powerful, low maintenance and economical to run. As an added bonus it has low emissions making it eco-friendly.
The rear wheel drive mower is self-propelled making it a pleasure to work with. The HYM430SP is quite easy to move around curves and obstacles.
This Hyundai HYM430SP lawnmower has a 43cm cutting width, which is a great size for most gardens and a 45-litre grass box for even more convenience.
It has a tool-free design and the recoil starter has a contactless ignition so is easy and reliable. You can use the Hyundai HYM430SP at any time of the year on all grass types as it has good height adjustment options with 6 setting from 25mm to 70mm. Adjustment is quick and easy with a simple leaver.
Another great feature that many other mowers lack is a mulching plug allowing the Hyundai HYM430SP to mulch the grass cuttings. The deck is tough and durable thanks to the powder coating. This lawnmower even has a hose connector on the deck to make cleaning easier.
Hyundai has used Operator Presence Control (OPC) so the engine will cut as soon as you let go.
To make storage or transport easier the handles fold down completely.
Hyundai HYM430SP Features:
- 139cc 4 Stroke engine (no 2 stroke oil mixing required)
- Low emission
- Mulching plug
- 42cm Cutting Width
- Tool-free design
- Operator Presence Control safety feature
- Foldable handles
- Easy start contactless ignition system
- 6 Easy to adjust cutting heights (25mm to 70mm)
- 45-litre grass box with level indicator
- Easy grip ergonomic handles for comfort
Hyundai HYM430SP Pros and Cons
- Effortless thanks to self-propulsion
- Good size grass box
- Mulching plug feature
- Durable construction
- Easy to start
- Value for money
- No tools required
- Great mow height options
- Good safety features
- 3-year warranty
- Slower than some mowers
- No roller for stripes lawns
- Instructions not the greatest
- Not the best option for large gardens
- Some people might require a lower mowing height
2. P1PE P5100SPE 173cc Electric Start Petrol Lawn Mower (Powered by Hyundai)
Position One Power Equipment or P1PE have created a solid quality lawnmower and fitted it with a reliable powerful 173cc 6 hp engine. It has a convenient and reliable electric starter and uses a key start for added security. There is a recoil starter in case the battery on the starter is flat. It is great for medium to large lawns with a wide 51cm (21”) cutting width and is self-propelled to get you around quickly and easily. The P1PE P5100SPE has rear-wheel drive and will cope well with inclines or banks.
The P5100 SPE gives you four cutting choices being the standard cut and collect, cut and drop, cut and side discharge or cut and mulch. The grass catcher is a large size 60 L bag.
As with most quality mowers, the handles are extremely comfortable and fold away easily.
It has good spares and parts backup and comes with a 2-year warranty from P1PE. Another benefit of this P1PE P5100SPE mower is it operates without too much noise.
The P1PE P5100SPE has a good 51cm cutting width so is great on larger gardens. It has a good 1.1 L fuel tank and the engine is fuel efficient. You can select from 7 cutting heights from 25 up to 85 mm. The adjustment lever is quick and easy to change.
P1PE P5100SPE Features:
- Hyundai 173 cc 6 hp motor
- 508 mm cutting width
- Electric starter
- 60 L grass bag
- Low noise
- 7 cutting heights
- 2-year warranty
P1PE P5100SPE Pros and Cons
- Quality powerful Hyundai engine
- Easy electric start (Key start)
- Light on fuel
- Tough and durable
- Good customer care
- OPC safety control
- Large 60 L grass collector bag
- Despite being self-propelled some people found it a little heavier than competitors
- Some users have concerns about the quality of the few plastic parts
3. Honda Izy HRG 466 SK 4-Wheel Self Propelled Petrol Lawn Mower
The Honda name needs no introduction and they are known for hard working durable and reliable engines. The Honda Izy HRG 466 SK lawnmower works hard and is great for medium sized gardens. Honda has a lot of experience with high-performance engines and have brought this know how to their lawnmower range. The 4-stroke engine is low maintenance and hassle-free.
This particular model, the Honda Izy HRG 466 SK, boasts a powerful 160cc engine that delivers an impressive 4.4hp and the self-propulsion means very little effort is needed to guide this beast around your garden. It has a built-in auto choke and the recoil starts is easy and reliable. This mower is also fuel efficient and low on noise.
The deck is solid quality steel and is built to last. The clever rounded design improves durability and also makes it much easier to clean. There are no corners for grass or dirt to get stuck in. The design of the Honda Izy HRG 466 SK also improves airflow and makes for more effective grass collection. The deck is powder coated for additional protection against corrosion and UV rays.
You can choose from 6 cutting heights from 20 to 74 mm for the perfect height for your needs. The large 55 L grass bags means more time cutting and the motor is powerful enough to handle this with ease. It even has a shield that comes down to protect your legs when you need to empty the bag.
The Honda Izy HRG 466 SK has a cutting width of 46CM so will get around a medium garden pretty quickly. The powerful self-propulsion makes it a pleasure to use in gardens with banks or slopes. The handles are strong, comfortable and fold back for easy storage.
Honda Izy HRG 466 SK Features:
- Trusted and reliable brand
- New 160cc Honda GCV160 4-stroke engine
- Auto Choke
- Easy start
- 46 cm (18″) cutting width
- Steel deck
- Rounded design for easy cleaning
- 55 L Grass bag with protective shield
- 5-year warranty
Honda Izy HRG 466 SK Pros and Cons
- Solid and durable
- Trusted brand
- Easy to clean
- Powerful hassle-free engine
- Auto-choke for easy starting
- Efficient grass collection
- Large grass bag
- Low noise
- Quality non-slip wheels
- Optional mulching kit available
- A bit pricey
Although this model has a 46cm deck, the same lawnmower is also available with a smaller 41cm (Honda IZY HRG416 PK) deck or the larger 53cm deck (Honda IZY HRG536 SD).
4. BMC Lawn Racer 17″ Self-Propelled Wolf 3.75HP 4 Stroke Engine Rotary Petrol Lawn Mower with Mulching Facility (42cm)
One of the main features of this powerful BMC Lawn Racer self-propelled mower is an excellent mulching facility. When done correctly and with the right equipment, it is a great benefit to your lawn. It will also save on fertiliser costs, make your lawn hardier and keep it happy and healthy.
It is not the largest lawnmower (17” or 42cm) but is a great balance between size and manoeuvrability. As the name suggests, this is a zippy mower and is ideal for small to medium gardens and can still cope with a slightly larger lawn. The BMC Lawn Racer is self-propelled so cutting is a breeze and it will handle gradients well. The large wheels have excellent grip and you can adjust the drive speed as necessary. It weighs in at 32 kg but the 3.75HP OHV 4 Stroke Unleaded Petrol Engine is more than capable of getting you around without major effort.
You can adjust the cutting height with an easy lever from 25 to 70 mm. The solid grass box has a fair capacity of 40 L. At a 420mm cutting width you can get around a medium garden pretty quickly.
The BMC Lawn Racer is good value for money and provides a good option for most gardens. It is a popular choice with many favourable reviews from happy customers.
BMC Lawn Racer Features:
- 75HP OHV 4 Stroke Unleaded Petrol Engine
- Good mulching feature
- 420mm Cutting width
- Powered by Wolf Dynamic
- Easy lever height adjustment with 5 options from 25mm to 70mm
- 40L hard grass box
- Large quality wheels
BMC Lawn Racer Pros and Cons
- Good mulching capability
- Powerful self-propelled engine
- Easy to start
- Convenient height adjustment
- Good 420mm cutting coverage
- Large and effective wheels
- Value for money
- Some customers had delays getting replacement parts
5. Einhell GC-PM 46 S Self Propelled Petrol Lawnmower
With a quality 139 cc single valve four-stroke engine this lawn mower delivers great power and cuts grass to perfection. It will be an ideal option for a medium to large lawn. The Einhell GC-PM 46 S is self-propelled so very little effort is required from the operator. If necessary, you can disengage the drive gear.
It has a powerful rear wheel drive making it easy to move around. The engine produces great torque and 3000 rpm.
The Einhell GC-PM 46 S has a great choice of 9 cutting heights from 30 to 80 mm. This feature is quick and easy to adjust. The handles are adjustable and ergonomically designed for comfort and fold down for storage or transport.
The 46cm cutting width on the Einhell GC-PM 46 S is great and will make quick work of large lawn areas.
This lawnmower is solidly built from steel and powder coated for added protection and durability. The fabric grass bag is a generous 50 L and has a level indicator.
The Einhell GC-PM 46 S has a recoil starter but it is conveniently located on the handle for easy reach without bending over.
Einhell GC-PM 46 S Features:
- One cylinder four-stroke 139 cc engine
- Self-propelled rear-wheel drive that can be disengaged
- 9 Cutting heights from 30 to 80 mm,
- Comfortable adjustable handles that fold down
- Solid sheet steel housing with powder coating
- Large 50 L grass collection bag with a level indicator
- Easy reach recoils starter
- Suitable for medium to large gardens
Einhell GC-PM 46 S Pros and Cons
- Solid powder-coated deck
- Good torque and power
- Easy and convenient start
- Fast operation
- Good size collection bag
- Great height adjustment options that are easy to change
- Higher vibrations than some competitors
- Grass bag can occasionally fall off if not fitted correctly
Just one extra one!!
6. Cobra M40SPC 40cm Self Propelled Petrol Lawn mower
The Cobra M40SPC is a well-made durable lawnmower with a decent 135cc 4-stroke engine. It is well-built and has good self-propulsion to make getting around the garden quick and easy. It offers an amazing 10 cutting heights from 25 to 75 mm for a perfect cut every time and better than most competitors.
Weighing only 28 kg the Cobra M40SPC will zip around your garden effortlessly. The 40cm (16”) cutting width is suitable for medium to larger gardens. It is great on slopes or banks.
The Cobra M40SPC has a good 50 L grass bag so you will not have to empty it too often.
The Cobra M40 SPC is s a popular well-loved model that received a lot of positive feedback and comes with a 2-year warranty.
Cobra M40SPC Features:
- 134 cc 4-Stroke engine
- 40cm Cutting Width
- 10 Cutting height choices, easy to adjust from 25 to 75mm
- 50 L Grass bag
- Lightweight but solid at 28kg
- Large solid wheels
- 2-Year warranty
Cobra M40SPC Pros and Cons
Why a Self Propelled Petrol Lawn Mower?
Unless you have a tiny postage stamp sized garden, chances are you need a petrol lawnmower. It is all very well to nip around a small garden with an electric mower but a petrol mower gives you much more power and freedom. This is especially true when you have a medium to a large area of lawn and essential if you have banks or slopes. That is why we have produced this 10 Best Petrol Lawnmowers 2019 guide to what we believe are the 10 best petrol lawn mowers in the UK.
The initial outlay for a petrol lawnmower is generally a bit more than an electric option but the improved power and the convenience of not having to worry about electrical cables will make it a worthwhile investment. They are also generally more durable so should last longer than most electric lawnmowers.
Some will claim that battery powered cordless lawn mowers will see the demise of petrol mowers, and whilst true, cordless lithium-ion mower have massively improved over the last 2 years, they are still many years away from replacing petrol lawn mowers. For larger and more undulating lawns petrol still may be the best option in terms of power, longer run times and self-propulsion making cutting your lawn easier and quicker. I have written a free guide called “The Complete Guide to Buying a Lawn Mower” that details in depth the pro’s and con’s of cordless, petrol, corded and robotic mowers and the best way to decide which is best suited to you and your lawn.
Not all petrol lawnmower are created equally so we have done some serious research to find the best of the best. Give some thought to the size, shape and gradient of your garden.
What to look for when selecting a self propelled petrol lawn mower:
A lawnmower is a fair investment and a good one will last you many years if well looked after. Here are a few things to look at before making your decision:
Size of the lawn area
There are a number of factors to consider when comparing and evaluating the different options. The first of these should always be the size of your garden. You have already decided on a petrol lawnmower but there a number of other things to think about.
- Power – With a large garden, the lawn mower will have to work harder. You also do not want to spend all day trying to mow the lawn so look for one with good power. This will allow it to effortless cut any size lawn even when the grass has grown a bit long or is wet.
- Self-propulsion – With a smaller patch of lawn this is not a major concern but pushing a big heavy lawn mower around a large or even medium sized garden can soon become tiring. Self-propulsion will take the hard work out of mowing and all you really have to do is just guide it around the garden.
Why self propelled?
Choosing a self propelled petrol mower is a well worth consideration, even with a smaller garden, is if the teens or grandparents want to use the mower. They will find it much easier if they do not have to push the full weight of the lawn mower.
The gradient is another factor. If you have lots of banks and slopes in the garden look for a self-propelled option to make that less of a challenge.
- Cutting width – Simply put, the larger the cutting width the larger the area of lawn you will mow with every pass. For larger gardens go for a lawn mower with a wider cutting width. While it makes accuracy around corners and edges a bit more tricky it will make cutting the lawn much faster.
- Grass box size – Again, a larger grass box will let you mow the lawn faster as you have to spend less time emptying it out. The more powerful lawn mowers will have no problem with the additional weight of a large grass box and the fewer trips to empty it out will make your job faster.
Apart from factors related to the size of the lawn, there are a few other factors to consider.
- Noise – If you have neighbours that are close by, you don’t want to upset them every time you mow. Some models are considerably quieter than others so bear this in mind.
- Fuel consumption – If you are cutting often, particularly on a large lawn, the cost of fuel can add up quickly. Look for a model that is economical to operate. Keeping it well looked after and serviced will also help to keep fuel use down.
- Mulching – Mulching is a feature that only some models have. It has a setting designed to chop the grass into small pieces that are then left on top of the cut lawn. As they rot down they return nutrients to the soil and improve the health of the grass. Mulching is economical and environmentally friendly but not everyone is going to use this feature.
- Cut height options – Depending on the type of lawn, the time of year, weather conditions and a number of other factors, you will want to adjust the cutting height from time to time. If the grass has been left to get a bit long, you do not want to send it into shock by cutting it right back in one go. Look for a mower that gives you a range of cutting height options and that they are fairly easy to adjust.
- Recoil or electric starter? While most modern recoil starters are easier and more reliable than they were some years back, it is still a bit of effort and can put a strain on the wrists. If this is a concern, look for a lawn mower with a convenient electric starter.
- 4-Stroke vs 2-Stroke – The main advantage of the 4-stroke motor is that there is no need to mix in 2-stroke oil every time you add fuel. Ensure it has engine oil and the rest is simple. 4-Stoke motors are also more economical to run than 2-stroke engines.
- Handle comfort – Some models have soft grip handles that are ergonomically designed. This makes the lawn mower much more comfortable and less tiring to use. You also want the handle height to be adjustable so that it is comfortable for different people to use.
- Storage – If you have limited storage space, look for a more compact model and one that allows the handles to fold down for easy storage.
- Rear roller – If you are wanting that elegant and professional striped effect on your lawn you want to look for a model with a rear roller.
- Budget – A lawn mower is a fair investment and should last you for many years. You want one that is tough enough and powerful enough to handle your lawn and durable enough to last many years. These quality mowers are all well built from quality materials and if looked after, will give you many years of great service. Some are obviously more expensive than others so consider your budget when comparing the options.