- Powerful motor and battery interchangeable with other Cobra garden tools.
- Very good run time (30-40 min)with a decent-sized lithium-ion battery.
- Fast to fold up and store.
- Centralized deck-height lever.
- Battery level indicator on the battery and the mower.
- Even with a plastic deck, this mower is slightly heavier than other comparable lawnmowers.
- Extra batteries are expensive for this model, and it is difficult to find cheaper third-party batteries.
Cobra MX3440V Review – 40v Lithium-ion Cordless Hand Propelled Lawnmower
The Cobra MX3440V is a cordless battery lawn mower that has a 34cm cutting deck and comes supplied with a large 40V 2.5Ah battery that will give you around a 30-40 minute run time. The mower comes complete a very respectable 35 litre grass collection box and a wide range of cutting heights (5 stages, 25mm to 75mm), weighs 16.3kg and a Cobra 2 year warranty.
Cobra’s MX3440V is an award-winning cordless 40-volt mower, voted the best Lawn mower by T3 in 2019. This machine has a powerful motor and battery, as well as a large grass box to collect all the clippings. And a range of safety features makes this machine perfect for use in a family garden.
- Rating: 9.5/10
- For Lawns of Up to 300m²
- Blade Length: 34 cm (13-inch)
- Weight: 16.3 Kg
- Number of Cutting Heights: 5 (25mm — 75mm)
- Grass Box Capacity: 35 L
- Motor: 3300 rpm Brush-Motor
- Battery: 2.5 Ah 40-Volt Lithium-Ion
- Deck Noise: 92 Decibels (67.3 dB at the operator level)
- Handle: Double Folding with Foam Grip
Power System & Batteries
Cobra has gone with using power-cells from Samsung, so you know that the battery pack is going to have a good lifespan. These Samsung cells do not have issues with memory effect or self-discharging. The 10-cells add together to produce 40 volts and have a combined capacity of 90-watt hours.
This gives you a battery with 2.5 amp-hours and will power the motor for around 30 to 40 minutes under regular use — and recharges in under an hour. The battery is also quick to remove and swap-out with a fresh battery — to extend your mowing time with the least interruption.
On the control handle of this Cobra MX3440V, there is a bank of LEDs to state that the machine is active and also to show the power remaining in the battery. You can also press a button on the battery to see the current level of charge. Cobra’s mower kit comes with one battery and a single fast charger. Cobra also makes 4 Ah batteries.
This mower uses a brush motor, which tends to be less efficient and makes less torque than a brushless motor. This is not such a big issue as even some of the Bosch mowers are not brushless, it’s just something to be aware of.
Cobra MX3440V Video
To give you a visual representation of the Cobra MX3440V please watch my video review below:
The Cobra MX3440V kit comes with a battery charger that will charge a 2Ah battery from flat in under one hour. This charger will charge the battery in the most efficient and safest way possible. A cooling fan activates while charging to keep the battery temperature down, and this helps to prolong the cell’s lifespan.
The batteries on their own are a little expensive (around £60 for a 2.0Ah) and naturally even more for the 4 Ah battery. And a third-party battery that matches the Cobra’s socket, which would invalidate the warranty, are not easy to find. So, it is worth looking after the existing battery-pack any way you can.
Cobra uses a lifting, pressed steel, blade. The cuts are clean and lift the grass in and into the grass box. And because of the superb cutting performance, the clippings are small and compacted into the grass box to make the most of the space available.
You can adjust the height of the handrail and the deck on this Cobra MX3440V. The handrail offers different heights that make the mower more comfortable to push, by changing the angle. There are 24-degrees of position to choose from, which changes the height of the handrail.
You can also alter the cutting height of the deck. There is a single height lever, between the left front and rear wheel, which alters all four wheels at the same time. The lever gives you a choice of 5 deck heights, ranging from 25mm to 75mm.
Cobra’s 34cm blade will give you a cutting area of 0.36 m2 per rotation. This is a small blade compared to some other brands. Though, the motor spins at around 10% faster than those competing models, which makes up for the lack of blade width. Remember, a smaller cutting width will make it easier to mow the lawn in tight spaces and around obstacles and flower beds.
Cobra has not added a roller nor a striper to this model. It is not common to see these types of additions to a small mower, let alone a cordless mower. If you want to see stripes on your lawn, you are better off getting a push-roller from a third-party manufacturer.
|CHRISTOW Garden Roller For Lawns, Heavy Duty Sand Water Filled Drum...||Check Price on Amazon|
Last update on 2020-08-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Cobra MX3440 does not comes with a mulching plug and therefore cannot mulch the lawn.
The grass box is a hybrid of mesh and polyurethane. The top section is solid plastic, and when you are assembling the grass box, you will need to screw the handle on to the lid. On top of the grass box, the catcher is a mechanical fill indicator, so you can see when the box needs emptying.
The lower half of the grass box is mesh, and this means that you do not need to put any effort into compressing it for storage. And because it is soft, it is not going to scrape your leg every time you take a step.
Cobra MX3440V Practicalities
- A large lithium-ion battery, which gives the mower a good run time, yet it is still quick to recharge.
- You can see the battery level on the battery itself on the handlebar control panel.
- The mower comes with a simple mulching plug, and the mulching blade helps to compact more grass into the box.
- There is a grass comb at the front of the machine that guides the grass towards the blade ensuring an optimum cut that is closer to the edge.
- The handlebar is adjustable with quick-latch fasteners and folds in half for storage.
- The handlebar has a foam grip to absorb some of the vibrations and noise.
- The throttle runs the width of the handlebar, so it is comfortable for both left and right-handed users.
- A half-mesh grass box for ease of storage.
- The Cobra MX3440V mower requires that the user inserts a key into the machine, near the battery, to activate the power. This is a much needed additional safety feature especially around children.
- There is also a start button, which the operator needs to press before they can activate the throttle.
- A central height adjustment lever makes it easier to change the deck height. But it also means that you can stay at the rear of the machine, where it is safe, to change the height.
- The thermal cut-off switch activates when the blade is struggling to get through thick, long and wet grass. On overheating, this switch shuts off power to the motor until it returns to a safe temperature.
Cobra MX3440 Cordless Lawn Mower User Manual
You can download the Cobra MX3440Cordless Lawn Mower user manual guide here.
What’s Included in the Box?
- The Cobra MX3440 40V lawnmower
- 1 x 40-Volt 2.5 Ah Lithium-Ion Battery
- 1 x Cobra Charger
- Grass Collection Box
- Owner’s Manual
Pros and Cons
Should You Buy this Cobra MX3440V?
There are many reasons why the Cobra MX3440V is better than a mower from another company. The large rear wheels help the machine, when loaded with grass, to get over uneven terrain with the least amount of pushing. And both the front and the rear wheels have a decent amount of width to limit the effect of wheel marks on the lawn.
A larger battery, even if it is 0.5 Ah larger, helps the mower to work that much longer on a single charge. And as the battery gets older, you will be grateful for those extra battery cells. Though the brushes of the motor are going to waste some of this extra battery power, to friction and heat.
Having a hybrid grass box is much more convenient when it comes to packing the machine away at the end of the day. And despite the small blade size, the mower has other efficiencies. The fast rate of spin and the grass combs help to compensate for the lesser amount of grass cut with the shorter blades.
To give you some guidance on which type of customer would suit this model best, below I’ve listed the categories they would fall under:
- People with gardens up to 300m² in size.
- People who do NOT want striped lawn appearance.
- Those that may have other Cobra cordless tools as batteries are interchangeable.
- People who want a good range of 5 cutting heights that range from 25mm to 75mm.
- Those that want the ability to extend the run time by purchasing additional or more powerful batteries.
- Those who like the convenience of having no power cord or have limited or no access to a power source in the garden.
- Those that want a compact (34cm cutting width) cordless mower that is easy to manoeuvre around the garden.
Of course this is open to interpretation so if you don’t fall under every single category then don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll still love this product. It has loads of great features that I’m sure you will make use of even if you’re not its perfect customer.
The Cobra MX3440V is narrow, which you can look at as practical because you can get it through the narrow parts of your garden. But narrow also means more trips up and down the lawn to get the job done. And there is no grass combs behind the front wheels either, so you are not going to cut as close to the edge as you would if it did.
It would be nice to be able to buy a second battery at a reasonable price. A second battery makes all the difference when it comes to powering any cordless tool. Though, because the Samsung battery has 2.5 Ah of power, it may be able to mow your 300m2 in one go — if you have not let the grass grow too long.
Cobra has put a soft foam grip on the handlebar — and the manufacturer claims that it makes 67 decibels at the operator’s level. The MX3440V is a comfortable and quiet machine to operate, and you can expect to get from it, what you paid for.
This is an award-winning mower for last year (2019) and I can see why it is so popular. You really can’t go wrong with this mower, it’s great value and you also get the peace of mind of having a Cobra 2 year warranty as well.
I just hope you can get your hands on one, they are so popular that stock sells out fast, good luck!
Where should I purchase this model?
- 34cm (13in) Cordless lithium-ion battery lawnmower
- Light and maneuverable, weighs just 16.3kg
- Simple and easy height of cut adjustment from 25mm to 75mm with a single lever
- A 40v 2.5Ah Battery (Samsung cells) and charger are included
- 2 Year warranty (domestic use)
Last update on 2020-08-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Not sure about this mower? Click here to see more Cordless Lawn Mower Reviews.
Does the Cobra MX3440V have a rear roller?
Is the Cobra MX3440V self propelled?
No, this is a push mower.
How long does it take to charge the battery?
Does the Cobra MX3440V have a steel deck?
No, it has a polymer deck
Is there an indicator on the grass box that tells you when it's full?
Yes, it has a grass bag full indicator.