We’re well into mowing season now and if you haven’t already gotten started, I’d say that now was the time. But if your old mower isn’t quite up to the challenge, you might be considering investing in something new.
Cordless mowers are becoming ever more popular since they’re easy to use, good for the environment and some with a whole host of features to make mowing a breeze. If you want the best value for money, I have found some amazing cordless lawn mowers that have everything you need for a well-maintained lawn.
In this guide, I’ll review some of the best value cordless mowers, as well as give you some tips on what to look out for.
It’s always important to keep in mind that when shopping for a cordless lawn mower, you’re going to be faced with a plethora of options. You see, there are so many models with so many different features, but not all of them will be suitable for everyone’s needs. That’s why it’s really important to pit mowers against one another to find something that’ll perfectly match what you’re looking for.
What works well for someone with a large garden, for example a long running time, wide cutting width and self-propelled drive, may not be suitable for somebody with a small patch of lawn.
The 5 Best Value Cordless Lawn Mowers
The modern gardener is certainly spoiled for choice when it comes to cordless lawn mowers, even when you’re looking to get excellent value for money. Here are my top picks of the best value cordless lawn mowers.
Best Value Cordless Mower At A Glance:-
- For Smaller Lawns: LawnMaster 34cm CLMF2434G
- For Larger Lawns: Hyundai 45cm HYM80LI460SP
- For Battery Power Share: Ryobi 33cm OLM1833B
- For Petrol Alternative: Greenworks 46cm GD24X2LM46SPK4x
- For Those On A Tight Budget: Einhell 33cm GE-CM 33 Li
1. Best Value Cordless Mower For Smaller Lawns
I’ve reviewed quite a few LawnMaster mowers and on the whole, it’s a great brand. If you only have a small lawn then you won’t need anything huge so this 34cm cordless mower is ideal. It’s also perfect for people who don’t have a lot of time to maintain their garden since the fast charger supplied with the mower gets you powered up and ready to go in just one hour!
The CLMF2434G might be small but it’s got some seriously impressive features. Not only does it come with a decent sized 32 litre grass box, but there’s also a mulching plug included in the box. If you want to naturally fertilise your lawn, this feature is a must. And there’s a rear roller so not only will your lawn be healthy, it’ll also look great with a striped finish.
I also love how easy to store the CLMF2434G is. It’s compact and boasts a folding handle and can be stored vertically upright to save space. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t robust thanks to the sturdy and durable deck.
The CLMF2434G has automatically adjusting power so you’ll get the most out of your batteries. It’ll boost power in longer grass or on uneven terrain and turn it down when things become less challenging.
LawnMaster CLMF2434G 34cm Video Review
To see this LawnMaster cordless mower in action, see my video review below.
Pros and Cons
Where Should I Purchase This Best Value Cordless Mower For Smaller Lawns?
Direct from LawnMaster – Save 10% – Discount Code: EASY10
2. Best Value Self-Propelled Cordless Mower For Larger Lawns
Hyundai brings us the HYM80LI460SP which is a beast of lawn mower ideal for bigger gardens thanks to its large 45cm cutting deck. On top of this, you get up to 40 minutes run time out of the 80v batteries, so you’ll be able to do the whole garden without interruption.
The HYM80LI460SP has a whopping 65 litre grass box, so you won’t need to worry about having to keep stopping to empty. Plus, since this is a four in one mower, you also get rear and side discharge and a mulching plug. Talk about versatility.
Despite being a monster of a machine, the HYM80LI460SP runs smoothly and quietly. It also comes with a safety key to avoid accidental start-ups and for a self-propelled mower, is relatively light at just over 27kg.
You’ve got six cutting heights between 25mm and 75mm which is another reason this is such a versatile piece of equipment. And if all of that wasn’t enough, you’re covered by a three-year warranty.
Hyundai HYM80LI460SP Video Review
Pros and Cons
Where Should I Purchase This Best Value Cordless Mower For Larger Lawns?
Direct from Hyundai – Save 5% – Discount Code: HYUNDAI5
I’ve included the Ryobi OLM1833B because it’s great if you’re looking for something to power share with other tools. It doesn’t come with a battery or charger, so you’ll need to buy them separately. Unless you already have a range of 18v ONE+ tools, in which case, you’ll already have batteries. There are literally over 150 home and garden tools that you can share your batteries and charger with, and that is the main reason this is my top pick for cordless mower power sharing.
This Ryobi is a smaller lawn mower with a 33cm cutting deck, so I’d recommend it for lawns up to around 250 square metres. It doesn’t have a rear roller so you won’t be able to get a striped lawn like you would with the LawnMaster, but that’s not the end of the world.
The Ryobi OLM1833B features five cutting heights between 25mm and 65mm which is plenty versatile enough for the well-maintained domestic garden. It’s also brilliantly lightweight at just 11kg, so if you struggle with bigger mowers, you’ll find this super easy to manoeuvre.
But the crowning glory of the Ryobi OLM1833B has to be the “cut to edge” feature. No longer will you need to worry about getting the trimmer out afterwards as the Ryobi OLM1833B gets right up to the edge leaving a neat and clean finish.
Summary of Battery Options
- Ryobi OLM1833B – Body Only – No Battery
- Ryobi RLM18C33B25 – 2.5Ah Battery
- Ryobi RLM18X33B40 – 4.0Ah Battery
Pros and Cons
4. Best Value Petrol Alternative Cordless Mower
When I talk about value for money, I’m not necessarily referring to something cheap. This mower is one of the more expensive on this list, but what you get for your buck is absolutely astonishing. If you’ve been thinking about moving from petrol to cordless, the Greenworks GD24X2LM46SPK4x is one of the best options.
This is a super powerful 40v lawn mower that runs quietly, and power shares its batteries with other tools in the Greenworks 40v range. It’s packed with features to make mowing easy; take the adjustable self-propelled drive, for example. You can set the speed to something that suits you, so mowing is super easy and comfortable.
The Greenworks GD24X2LM46SPK4x also features 3 in 1 mowing including a mulching plug, side discharge and a generously sized 55 litre grass bag for collection. It’ll work wonders on larger lawns up to 750 square metres with its 46cm cutting width.
The one thing I’m not so keen on is that the Greenworks GD24X2LM46SPK4x comes with two batteries but only a single charger, so getting powered up is a bit of a faff. Having said that additional chargers are readily available and do not cost the Earth. All in all, a great value alternative to a petrol mower and you can ditch the fuel, oil and maintenance requirements and costs.
Pros and Cons
Where Should I Purchase This Best Value Petrol Alternative Cordless Mower?
5. Best Value Cordless Mower For Those On A Tight Budget
Finally, we have the Einhell GE-CM 33 Li which is a very affordable cordless lawn mower that still has a lot to offer. OK, it doesn’t have quite as many features as some of the others I have discussed, but for maintaining your lawn in a simple yet effective way, it’s perfect.
The Einhell GE-CM 33 Li has a 33cm cutting deck so is perfect for smaller gardens and the 18v battery is powerful and quiet. But what really sets the Einhell GE-CM 33 Li apart from the rest is how easy it is to manoeuvre around your lawn. It’s incredibly lightweight at just 10.9kg and moves like a dream. It is made from plastic which isn’t as durable as steel, but as long as you don’t go mowing over incredibly rough terrain, it’s going to stand the test of time.
The Einhell GE-CM 33 Li has large rear wheels, so if there are any uneven parts of the lawn, this will make it much easier to navigate over them. I also love that the handle has five heights so you can set it to something that is comfortable for you.
While there is no rear roller, mulching plug or other additional features, the Einhell GE-CM 33 Li gets the job done, does it well and will suit even the tightest budget.
Einhell GE-CM 33 Li Video Review
To see this Einhell cordless mower in action, see my video review below.
Pros and Cons
Where Should I Purchase This Best Value Cordless Mower For Those On A Tight Budget?
What Makes A Good Cordless Mower?
What you expect from a good cordless lawn mower could include a lot of different things. As I have already mentioned, there are so many differences between mowers. But the most important thing to keep in mind is that you want a mower that is easy to use and performs well. But let me explain this in a little more detail.
The cut quality should be excellent and the finish of the lawn should be neat, even and clean. You can look for features like “cut to edge” which are great if you don’t want any additional work with trimmers and shears, for example, but these are not essential to a good lawn mower. The build quality, batteries, cutting features and type of blade will tell you everything you need to know.
A good cordless mower will be well made with exceptional build quality that doesn’t make it feel as though it’s going to fall apart if you dare to hit a stone or bump the fence. However, if you do have any problems or need replacement parts, you’ll want to feel confident that this is easy and affordable. So, for this reason, I’d always say to go for reputable and well-known manufacturers where replacement parts and customer service do not involve a huge drama.
What makes a good mower for one person might not make a good mower for another, so you will need to determine what features work best for you. However, a good cordless lawn mower will have things like various mowing options such as mulching and rear discharge, a good range of cutting heights, foldable handles and easy storage features, easy and safe operation and plenty of other features that make them a delight to use. If you have steep inclines or hills in your garden then features such as a self-propelled drive is something to consider.
Of course, all of this is most favourable when it comes at a decent cost. Buying a lawn mower will involve some sort of investment and largely, you get what you pay for. However, when you can find products that are great value for money, that is the icing on the cake.
What Should I Look For When Buying A Cordless Mower?
If you’re totally new to buying cordless lawn mowers, it can feel as though there’s a lot to consider. I won’t lie, there are a lot of things to think about, but it’s not as scary as you might think. You’ll need to weigh up your options and consider the following points if you’re going to find a cordless mower that meets your needs.
- Cordless lawn mowers run on batteries, so you’ll want to look at how much run time you get per charge. If you have a bigger garden, it goes without saying that you’re going to need something that runs for longer. But it’s also worth looking at how long the battery takes to charge. Some come with fast chargers that can repower batteries in around 30 minutes, while others could take several hours. Mower batteries with a power indicator light can help you to avoid unexpected dead batteries.
- What is the cutting width of the mower? This is usually given in centimetres and tells you how much ground the mower will cover in one pass. For smaller lawns, you might only need something between 30cm and 38cm but if your lawn is much bigger, you could go up to 52cm. There are, of course, mowers in between these sizes that are great for medium sized lawns. Keep in mind that using something too small on a large lawn will mean it takes longer to get the job done. On the flip side, using too large a mower could make it difficult to navigate tight spots and take up additional storage. Not to mention that the bigger the mower the heavier it will be, especially when the grass box is full.
- Take a look at how many ways the lawn mower operates. There are generally four cutting options; cut and collect, mulching, side discharge and rear discharge. It really depends on how you prefer to mow, but most people like the idea of having at least a couple of options. One thing I would suggest is to look at the size of the grass box. The bigger the better as you’ll have to empty less, but choosing a hybrid collection box with fabric sides is also a good idea as this improves airflow meaning the clippings will be collected and compacted more effectively.
- Throughout the mowing season, you’ll need to cut the lawn to varying heights which is why it’s important to look at the cutting height abilities of the mower. This is usually measured in millimetres and tells you the length that the mower will cut the grass. You should never cut more than one third of the current length of the grass, so depending on how long it is when you come to cut it, you’ll need different heights. Also check how the cutting height is adjusted; mowers with a central height adjustment lever are the easiest to use.
- Take a look at how the mower will perform. For example, if you have a very uneven lawn, something with larger rear wheels will help you to navigate this more easily. Does the lawn mower cut to the edge of the lawn? This can help to save time with other maintenance tasks, so is great for busy homeowners. Also think about the quality of the blade and the finish of the cut; does it look neat and even?
- Some cordless mowers have a self-propelled drive and this is great for large lawns or those with slopes that might otherwise be difficult to mow. If you do choose a self-propelled cordless lawn mower, check whether the speed can be adjusted as this can help to make mowing the lawn more comfortable as you’ll be able to mow at a pace that suits you.
- Think about how easy the mower is going to be to store. If your shed is already pretty full, it’s worth looking for one that can be stored vertically as this is a real space saver. Most cordless lawn mowers will have a folding handle which can also make it easier to store. The handle may also be height adjustable to suit your posture, which is another important comfort feature.
- Last but not least, if you like a striped lawn appearance, you will need to have a cordless mower with a rear roller. This could come in two types, either in addition to the 2 rear wheels or instead of. Just bear in mind, that a heavier mower will produce a more defined and longer lasting stripes.
How I Tested Cordless Mowers
I spend a lot of time testing and reviewing all types of mowers, but I know how important it is for you to be able to trust what I’m telling you. That’s why I wanted to include this short section on how I test mowers so that the process is as transparent as possible.
For starters, I always look at value for money. By this, I mean I look at what features the lawn mower has and how well it performs compared to the cost. The best lawn mowers have an acceptable price tag along with features that will make mowing easier and are not gimmicks that you will simply not use.
I also look at how well the mower performs in terms of cut and ease of use. I’ll assess things like the cutting width and its suitability for certain lawns as well as how many cutting height options are available and what ways you can mow, for example, mulching or side discharge or collection.
Another thing that I always pay attention to when reviewing a lawn mower is how easy it is to put together and store. Most mowers require a little assembly but the last thing you want is something that requires an advanced DIY level. I’ll also look at whether the handle can be adjusted for comfort and whether it folds for more easy storage. Where possible I will always try to produce a video review of the mower so that you can see it in action for yourself before you purchase.
The market is bursting with cordless lawn mowers and while some leave a lot to be desired, there are others that are brilliant value for money. They have a range of features that are suited to various conditions and lawn types, but it is important to make sure you weigh up the features to get something that suits your needs.
Looking for more Best Cordless Mower Reviews? – 10 Best Cordless Lawn Mowers with Reviews