Murray EC320 Review
- Mulching blade and plug to provide another option to collecting the grass clippings.
- Wide wheels for better control.
- Single mount height control lever.
- Ambidextrous throttle.
- 5 cutting heights
- The grass box is a little on the small side.
Murray EC320 Review – 32 cm Electric Corded Lawn Mower
The Murray EC320 is an electric corded lawn mower that has a respectable 1200 W motor and is designed for lawns up to 300m2. This model has a 32cm blade and a 30 litre grass collection box. There are 5 cutting heights to choose from that range from 20mm to 60mm that are easily adjusted via a single front mounted lever.
The Murray EC320 is provided with 10 metre cable 5 year limited warranty
Murray is well-established in the business of making lawn mowers, and they have a great range of robust machines. The Murray EC320 model from Murray has all the trimmings you could want from a small-to-medium range of electric lawn mower.
- Rating: 9.4/10
- For Lawns of Up to 300m²
- Blade Length: 32cm
- Weight: 8.65 Kg
- Number of Cutting Height: 5 (20mm to 60mm)
- Grass Box Capacity: 30 L
- 1200-Watt Power
- Cable Length: 10 m
- Central Height Adjustment
- Folding Handle
- Mulching Plug
Murray has gone with their 1200-watt brush-motor for this model. This motor size is standard for a small lawn mower, and a smaller motor means less weight. The total weight of this mower is 8.65 kilograms, which is a manageable weight for most people.
The motor spins at 2700 revolutions per Minute, with a peak output of 3500 RPM. And 96 decibels, at the base of the machine when activated, is a little high — though this reduces to 78 decibels at the point of the operator.
For the most part, this mower does an excellent job of cutting grass in a clean and consistent fashion. The motor is at the smallest limit of what you would want in a corded lawn mower, though it seems to have a lot of torque, despite its size.
The low weight helps with the manoeuvring around the lawn and small obstacles, though a little rear heavy. The Murray EC320 has small wheels at the front, in diameter, but at least these wheels are wide. These wide wheels reduce the tendency for them to dig in when the weight of the grass box builds.
The blade is steel and does a good job of picking blades of grass with a clean and efficient cut. This mower uses a mulching blade, so the clippings are small and make the most of the space in the grass box.
There is a single height adjustment lever behind the front left wheel. This lever controls the height of both the front wheel and the rear axle with the help of a plastic connecting rod. The Murray EC320 offers 5 cutting heights to choose from. Heights start from 2 centimetres and go as high as 6 centimetres.
The blade is 32 centimetres in length equating to a cutting area of 0.32 square metres per rotation. Needless to say, the mower will not get through a large number of square metres in a minute, but it is more than fast enough for a medium-sized garden.
If you are looking for a larger cutting diameter, them Murray have the almost identical Murray EC370 37 cm Electric Corded Lawn Mower. This slightly larger version of this mower also has a larger 40 litre grass collection bag and a larger 1600 watt motor. Details of this bigger brother are below.
|Murray 2691584 EC370 37 cm Electric Corded Lawn Mower, Push, 5 Years...||87 Reviews||£119.00||Check Price on Amazon|
Last update on 2020-08-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Grass Box Capacity
The grass box on this Murray EC320 has a 30-litre capacity, which again is enough for a 300 square metre garden. Though you may need to make a few trips to the compost bin if you intend to use this mower on a thick and overgrown lawn.
The base and the top of the box is solid plastic and has plenty of air vents to encourage the flow of grass into the box. The sides of the box are mesh-fabric. Mesh has the main advantage that you do not need to disassemble the box for storage — it is easy to flatten and returns to its full size in seconds.
Murray EC320 Practicalities
- The wheels have some good width to them, so getting over mounds and dips is that much easier.
- The central height control lever is a good idea in general, but the lever is at the front. This means that the operator needs to go to the front of the machine and release the throttle.
- There is a foam grip covering the handrail, which helps to absorb some of the vibrations from the spinning blade. And the foam will also help to reduce some of the vibrational sounds making their way through the handrail.
- Grass combs can make a big difference to the pulling in of grass from outside of the wheel tracks. Though on this model, the comb is in line with the wheels, so you may end up scratching the wheels as you try to mower near a wall.
- The handrail also folds in two, and it is straightforward to release from the deck if you have trouble with storage space.
- The throttle-bar spans the width of the lawn mower, so lefties will find it more comfortable to use.
- There is a release button on the right side of the handrail, which needs pressing if you want to activate the throttle.
- The motor has an automated overheating switch that activates if the operator tries to push the mower too hard.
- The deck is plastic, which helps to reduce the noise of the blade from 96 decibels to 78.5 decibels at the handrail.
The Murray EC320 does not have a roller nor a striper. There is not much space under the grass box to add a roller. If you want stripes, the best option will be to get a separate manual roller.
The mulching blade does a good job of cutting the grass into small clippings. This mower comes with a proper mulching plug so that you can return the clippings to where they came from and fertilise the lawn.
This will save you money on expensive artificial fertilisers and make your lawn healthy and happy.
If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of mulching your lawn and seeing a list of my best mulching mowers, click here.
Murray EC320 Lawn Mower User Manual
You can download the Murray EC320 Lawn Mower user manual guide here.
What’s Included in the Box?
- Murray EC320 Mower
- 30-Litre Grass Box
- 10-Metre Cable
- Instruction Manual
Pros and Cons
Should You Buy This Model – Verdict
The Murray EC320 is a great mower; it has all the functions you would want from a modern mower, and the machine is robust and dependable. The motor is a good size, though you will have to repeat certain areas of a lawn. And for the most part, the blade gets the grass in the first try, if you walk at a slow speed.
It is amazing the number of functions and thinking gone into the design when you consider the price. The single height lever and connecting rod is plastic. But it is thick plastic, and the quality is there for it to feel robust.
The wheels do not look much, but the plastic is thick. And the wheels are wide, which of course is better from spreading the weight. Other good features are the grass combs, though these should stick out a little further to avoid having to scrape the whole machine along a brick wall.
This Murray EC320 just works so well! you get a good clean and effective cut to help you achieve a great looking lawn. Remember this mower comes with an unheard-of 5 year warranty for complete peace of mind (domestic use only – not commercial use).
In summary, considering all the additional features normally found on a higher end and more expensive mower, the positive customer feedback; I am sure you will not be disappointed with this mower.
Where should I purchase this model?
- Cut tall grass easily with the powerful 1200 W electric motor featuring soft start
- The Soft Grip handle minimises vibrations and ensures a comfortable grip; the handle bar is foldable for easy storage
- The 30 Litre bag collector allows for high air flow and easily detaches from the mower
- The grass combs on the side steer the grass towards the blade; less edge trimming is required
- Ideal for coverage up to 300 sq m with a 32 cm cutting width
- 5 Height-of-Cut positions 20-60 mm
Last update on 2020-08-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
How big are the wheels on this Murray EC320?
Front: 16,5cm / Rear: 25cm
Can I purchase this Murray EC320 with a larger deck size?
Yes, The Murray EC370 has a 37cm deck.
Does the Murray EC320 have a roller?
What size lawn can this Murray EC320 be used?
Ideal for coverage up to 300m2
Is the Murray EC320 self propelled?
No, like the majority of corded mowers, this a push mower.
Do the handles fold flat?
Yes, but only at the central point, not at the lower point like some other mowers.
Not sure about this mower? Click here to see more Corded Electric Lawn Mower Reviews.
Murray EC320 Additional Specifications
|Cutting height steps||5|
|Cutting height max||60mm|
|Cutting height min||20mm|
|Cutting height adjustment||Central Lever|
|Bag Type||Hard Top Fabric Catcher|
|Handle Grip||Ergonomic Soft Grip|
|Power Cable Length (m)||10 metres|
|Right or left start switch||Right & Left|
|Grass bag filling indicator||Yes|