- Lightweight and easy to store.
- Mulching blade and plug included.
- Good 2 year warranty
- Large grass collection box
- Single deck height lever.
- Grass box time-consuming to assemble or take apart for storage.
- Longer charge time with standard charger (up to 4 hours)
Swift EB137CD2 Review – 40 Volt Cordless Digital Wide Lawn Mower Cutting Width 37 cm
The Swift EB137CD2 is a 40 volt Lithium-ion battery powered lawn mower that has a 37cm cutting width and 5 height adjustments from 25mm to 65mm via a single rear mounted lever. This Swift mower has a large 40 litre grass collection box, quick foldable handles, a grass box full indicator and an innovative power adaptive load sensing feature.
Swift’s Wide cordless 40-volt lawn mower is perfect for the unhindered mowing of lawns, where the wall socket is too far away to use. A large grass box, a powerful battery, and the strong motor work together to help you mow your small lawn without the need to stop.
In this review of the Swift EB137CD2 you will learn about the good (and perhaps, not so good) features of the mower and by the end of the review you will know if this the best suited cordless mower for you and your garden.
- Rating: 9.5/10
- Suitable for Lawns of up to 250m²
- Blade Length: 37cm
- Weight: 15.2 Kg·
- Number of Cutting Heights: 5 (25mm to 65mm)
- Grass Box Capacity: 40 L
- Motor: 650-Watt 3200 rpm Digital Brushless
- Battery: 2 Ah 40-volt Lithium-Ion
- Deck Noise: 96 Decibels
- Handle: Double folding. No Foam Grip
Power System & Batteries
The best thing about this Swift EB137CD2 lawn mower is that you can swap the rechargeable battery out for a fresh one in seconds. The 2-amp-hour lithium-ion battery that Swift has used gives the mower a little under 30 minutes of run-time. And when you press the button on the front of the battery, an LED strip shows the level of charge remaining.
So, you can have a spare battery at hand to give yourself a less interrupted mowing time. You can purchase a mower on its own, a pack that comes with 1 battery and a charger, or as a 2-battery mower pack and a charger.
The motor brushless, which tends to be a much more efficient way to power a machine. A brushless motor is also more robust and gives a greater amount of torque.
Swift EB137CD2 Video
To give you a visual representation of the Swift EB137CD2 please watch the video review below:
When purchasing this mower, It is worth choosing the kit with the battery and the charger, since buying it afterwards is more expensive. These batteries can be purchased online and even some “The Range” stores have them in stock. A 2.0 Ah battery will cost around £50 to purchase.
From empty, the charger will top up a battery, to full charge, in around 4 hours. As you clip the battery into the charger, an LED will go from flashing red to flashing green. Then solid green to signal that the battery has a full charge and you are ready to start mowing.
This 4 hour charge time is longer than some other mower brands, however you can purchase a fast charger (EBC20 ) that will reduce the charge time down to a respectable 60-70 minutes. It’s a shame that Swift do not give you the option to include the fast charger when purchasing this mower.
The blades on the Swift EB137CD2 are 37 centimetres in length and have serrations at the end to help the mower get through thick grass and weeds. These are also lifting blades, which help to cut more grass in a single stroke and executes a cleaner cut.
Swift also produce a 32cm deck version of this mower that uses the same 40 volt 2.0 Ah batteries. Details here – Swift 40 V EB132C22
There is a single height lever over the left-rear wheel — a much safer way to change the deck height. This lever controls both front and rear axles at the same time to ensure the deck stay level to the lawn.
This lever is long, so you do not need to bend over far to change it, and the large club-shaped handle makes it more comfortable to use. The lever has 5 height settings, which starts from 25mm and goes up to 65mm. The adjustment is smooth and simple to use.
The Swift EB137CD2 comes with a 37 centimetre metal blade that lifts the grass as it goes, to perform smoother cuts. A diameter of 37 centimetres works out to 0.43 m2 per rotation. The serrated edge also helps the mower to get through tough patches.
The serration makes good use of the grass combs, which are behind each of the front wheels, and pulls in the grass right from the edge of the deck.
Swift’s cordless lawn mowers do not have rollers or stripers. This will be because they are push mowers, and in general, you want to keep a push mower as lightweight as you can. If you want to create stripes on your lawn, there are plenty of aftermarket pull-rollers out there that do a fantastic job of it.
The Swift EB137CD2 comes with a mulching plug, to prevent the grass from backing up into the grass chute and help with the process. The Swift has their design of mulching blades, which both lifts, cuts, and dices the grass clippings in a smooth and efficient manner.
This is a really nice touch from Swift as a mulching plug is either not an option or an optional extra with other brands, nice one Swift!
To learn more about the benefits of a mower that has the ability to mulch the lawn, please see my article “The Benefits of Mulching Grass – Complete Guide with Pros & Cons“.
The Swift EB137 Wide mower comes with a large 40-litre grass box. This large box, when combined with the mulching blade, should be more than enough for a 250m2 lawn. The box is solid polyurethane, with surrounding air vents to help with the flow of grass. There is also a mechanical fill indicator on the top of the box, taking the guess work out of the emptying task.
A solid box is better for strength, and it will have a longer lifespan. Though the solid box does stick out a long way — with a plastic lip that is the same height as your shin. The box is also the most difficult part of the mower to assemble when you first get it out of the box, of course you only do this once and is common with most solid grass collection boxes.
- Lithium-ion batteries are lightweight, robust.
- The batteries have a power indicator, so you can see which one has the most charge.
- The option of mulching means that you can cut the lawn without a cumbersome grass box. Mulching also cut downs on the amount of fertilizer you need to buy.
- Grass combs combined with the serrated blade will catch a lot more grass on the first pass.
- The handlebar folds in two for ease of storage.
- And the grass box and the mulch plug are both easy to remove and insert.
- Lefties and righties can use this mower in comfort, as the throttle bar runs the width of the mower.
Swift EB137CD2 Safety Features
- There is a kill button on the handle rail, which activates on releasing the throttle. The user also has to press this button before they can activate the throttle.
- One of the most critical safety features is the key-start. The key fits in under the battery cover. So even if you have children that figure out how to insert the battery and press the safety button, it will not work, unless they manage to find the key and insert it in the right place. Although the key can be lost, (replacements can be purchased) this is a additional safety feature.
- A centralized single deck lever at the rear of the machine makes changing the deck height much safer.
- If the motor overheats, the automatic shut-off switch cuts the power until the motor returns to a safe temperature.
What’s Included in the Box?
- The Swift EB137CD2 40V Wide Lawnmower
- 1 x 40-volt 2 Ah Lithium-Ion Battery
- 1 x Swift Charger
- Solid Grass Collection Box
- Mulch Plug
- Owner’s Manual
Pros and Cons
Should You Buy This Swift EB137CD2 Lawn Mower?
The Swift EB137 is a machine that makes short work of long grass, and there are many other good features on this mower. The grass combs at the front and towards the sides, also help to improve the efficient cutting of grass. And not all mowers have ambidextrous throttle bars that take into consideration, left-handed users.
A digital motor adapts its power consumption for efficiency, and this lengthens the battery’s run-time. If the blades are free to rotate, the motor uses the least amount of power to keep the speed up. And when the blade hits a patch of tall grass, the power sent to the motor increases to match. Greater efficiency means that the mower can use a lighter battery and a smaller motor.
The safety-key can be a lifesaver when it comes to having such a machine in a home — where children may try to play with something fun, like a mower. And to double up on the safety aspect, the throttle bar activation button makes this model even safer.
The main inconvenience of the EB137 is the large grass box, which is good in terms of collection size, but it is cumbersome. And because it is a bit of a hassle to assemble and take apart, you are going to resort to storing it whole.
The Swift EB137CD2 is convenient to use, as long as you have a full battery, you can take it out at a moment’s notice. The battery and the key are fast and easy to insert, and the mower light enough to carry with ease. There is no need to dig out the power cable, which has managed to twist itself into a giant knot.
Though it is good of Swift to use a wide throttle bar, it would have been even better to spend a few more seconds in the factory to improve comfort. Like by adding a thicker foam grip to the handlebar, to absorb more of the vibrations. And even though this is a brushless battery mower, it still manages to produce 96 decibels at the base of the deck.
If you have a garden in the 250m2 range, then a battery-powered lawn mower is the way to go. Cordless mowers are simple and low on maintenance. In the winter, you do not have to bleed a fuel tank or treat the engine. And in the summer, you do not need to deal with tangled power cords and the fumes of warm petrol.
For those that want something easy to use, reliable and effective with additional features, it is the Swift EB137CD2. The batteries will interchange with other Swift cordless machines if you have any. And this is one of the most inexpensive cordless mulching mowers on the market.
Where should I purchase this Swift EB137CD2?
- Powerful Combination: One 40V 80Wh Lithium battery and 37cm improved metal steel blade increases the mowing efficiency; Advanced digital brushless motor. cuts up to 250Square meter on a full charge, Up to 34% of U.K. homes only need one charge to get the job done.
- Central Adjustable Heights: Easy and secure individual wheel height adjustment ranging from 25MM - 75MM to meet all your mowing needs, fully adapt to different lawn and terrain types, providing more choices and guarantees for beautifying your garden.
- User-Friendly Design: Equipped with a large 40 Litre grass box, meaning less time spent emptying grass clippings; A child lock is added, which effectively avoids the danger of misuse by children; The control frame is also foldable, which makes winter storage a simple task.
- Freedom Flexibility & Eco-Friendly: Compared with cord models, it has a Cover the whole lawn without the restriction of a power cord, for better freedom and flexibility. And compared with petrol lawnmower, this lawn mower feels hassle-free: no trips to the gas station, no checking the oil levels, no spilled fuel, and no emissions.
- Manufacturers Guarantee: 24 month warranty on machine,12 month warranty on battery; If you have any questions or problems, please contact our official customer support e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org); Our professional support team will help you solve your problem within 24 hours.
Last update on 2020-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Not sure about this mower? Click here to see more Cordless Lawn Mower Reviews.
Swift EB137CD2 Cordless Lawn Mower FAQ’s
Does the Swift EB137CD2 have a roller?
How long is the warranty on the Swift EB137CD2?
How much does the Swift EB137CD2 weigh with the batteries?
How long does the battery last on the Swift EB137CD2?
Around 30 min depending on conditions.
What size lawn is this Swift EB137CD2 designed to cut?
250m² - around the size of a tennis court.