Einhell GC-EM 1030
- The lightweight design is a big plus, and some of this weight is due to the extra weight placed in the front of the machine to help balance it.
- The efficient brushless motor will last a long time and give the blade plenty of cutting power.
- A solid grass box that will collapse for easy storage.
- Simple design with few parts — so low on maintenance and a lot less to go wrong.
- The mower does not have a central height adjustment system.
- The throttle is on the right-side of the mower, it is not central, but it is robust.
Einhell GC-EM 1030 Review
The Einhell GC-EM 1030 is a lightweight electric lawn mower, suitable for lawns of up to 300m². A large 1000-watt motor powers the machine, which connects to the main power supply. The mower is not self-propelled, but is not needed as it’s so light and therefore less to go wrong. It has several height settings that range from 30mm to 70mm, and also comes with a 25 litre grass collection box.
- Rating: 9.4/10
- For Lawns of Up to 300m²
- Blade Length: 30cm
- Weight: 11 Kg
- Number of Cutting Heights: 3 (30mm — 70mm)
- Grass Box Capacity: 25 L
- Power: 1000 Watts
- Cable Length: 10m
- 3-level Axial Height Adjustment
- Folding Handle
- Brushless Carbon Motor
Einhell lawn mowers are well known for quality, great build quality and electric motors that are efficient and reliable. The 1000-watt electric motor is powerful enough to spin the blade with enough power to get through thick grass. This mower uses a carbon brushless motor, which is lighter, quieter and offers more torque.
A brushless motor is also more dependable, and the lack of brushes rubbing on the motor means that this type of motor needs less maintenance. Brushless motors are more efficient and assume less space inside the mower housing, making them more compact.
For a small to medium garden, this mower is perfect — it is lightweight and easy to maneuverer. The Einhell even tackles long grass well on the first pass. The noise is higher than you would expect from a corded electric mower, not as loud as a petrol mower, but still 96 decibels.
Most of the noise comes from the blade hitting thick patches of lawn, since the motor is quiet. This high noise level will relate to the thin plastic deck and motor cowling that would be much thicker on a petrol mower.
The blades are metal and meet Einhell’s usual high standards. These blades are sharp and make clean cuts through the grass, leaving little in the way of stragglers. It is possible to sharpen these blades, and the official steel blades from Einhell are affordable and easy to find.
The Einhell GC-EM 1030 is an economy mower, and to economise on the build-cost, it does not use a single height lever. Instead, you need to change the height of all four wheels — as the height ratchet on each wheel is separate.
This process is a little easier with the fact that there are 3 levels to choose from and not more. Blade heights can go from 3 centimetres, up to 7 centimetres.
Still, the method of changing the height is a bit of a pain — and having to pull the wheels into the setting is less than safe. The axles that connect the front and rear wheels slip into one of three ratchets. To change the height, the user needs to grab each wheel and slip it into the same notch height.
The Einhell GC-EM 1030 uses a 30-centimetre steel blade. This works out to 0.28 square meters per rotation, which is standard for a mower intended for a small lawn. And although you could use this mower on a larger lawn, the main issue would be the number of trips you would need to take to empty the grass bin.
Grass Box Capacity
A 25-litre grass bin is enough for a well-groomed 300 square metre garden. The bin is solid plastic, with large plastic grids that surround the bin to improve the flow of grass. This bin has a handle and hooks on to the back of the mower. The grass collection box will split in two, to make storing of the bin easier.
- All wheels are of the same size and come unassembled in the box. In some ways, this is better for weight but less practical for pushing a mower with a full grass box around a lawn.
- The height adjustments to the wheel in not complex, but it does mean that the user needs to adjust each wheel. Three height adjustments are fine, and there is no need for changes any
smaller than this.
- The grass box is strong, lightweight, and made easy to empty with its large carry handle.
- And because it is so lightweight, most owners will not have any trouble putting this mower up on a storage shelf.
- The handlebar is foldable — making the whole unit compact and practical for storage and transportation.
- The throttle is on the right-hand side of the unit, so lefties may find it a little awkward. And this mower comes with a short 10-metre detachable cable, which may be long enough if you have a garden power socket.
- There is a small clip on the handrail, where you can hang the power cord up and out of the way. This is better than following the dangerous trend of swinging the power cable over your shoulder.
- To start the mower, the user first needs to press the throttle unlocking button with their spare hand. A plastic deck has the advantage that it will not rust, and the colour will not come off.
- The mower’s size and power are not enough to make the plastic deck a safety issue, but it will weaken over time from exposure to the Sun.
- A thermal switch protects the motor from overheating if the blade happens to get stuck or try to cut tall, thick, and wet grass. The shut-off switch is automatic and will allow the mower to work again after a few minutes of cooling.
There is no striper, nor is there a roller or a lawn mat on this model from Einhell. There are add-on aftermarket rollers. But, this mower is for use on small lawns, so it will be more cost-effective to use a separate roller or a broad bristle broom.
The Einhell GC-EM 1030 uses a lift and cut blade. You can lift the grass box off from the back of the mower and close the rear flap, which will provide an element of mulching. But without a mulching plug, the chute will clog up with grass, and it may cause overloads.
If you are looking for a mulching mower you would be better to see the list of my best mulching mower available in the UK.
Einhell GC-EM 1030 Lawn Mower User Manual
You can download the Einhell GC-EM 1030 Lawn Mower user manual guide here.
What’s Included in the Box?
- Einhell GC-EM 1030
- 25-Litre Grass Box
- 10-Metre Cable
- Instruction Manual
Pros and Cons
Should You Buy This Model — Verdict
A perfect little machine for a small lawn. The mower is simple and easy to manoeuvre around a garden, and the low weight helps with pushing it when it is laden with grass. The plastic deck is there to make the machine less expensive, but it does not have any negative influence on the appearance of the unit.
A plastic deck with a 30-centimetre blade is not a major issue, and it will be easier to wash off until it gets scratched by small stone and stick. Plastic decks are standard on electric corded mowers and help to keep the weight down.
The wheels are also plastic and are not that big, so these are going to be the weak points. And these wheels need to support the weight of the motor and 25 litres of cut grass. Again, this is standard for electric mowers of this size and is not a particular week point of this mower.
For a small lawn, this machine is more than enough. And you are going to have to accept some trade-offs in strength when choosing such a lightweight machine. As a whole, this is a perfect entry-level mower that is great value for money.
Where should I purchase this model?
- Powerful carbon power motor with high torque
- 3-level axial height adjustment
- Folding handle
- Cable strain relief
- Grass protecting, large wheels
- Cable Length is 10 Meters
Last update on 2020-11-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Does the Einhell GC-EM 1030 have a rear roller?
How long is the cable on the Einhell GC-EM 1030?
How big is the grass collection box on the Einhell GC-EM 1030?
What size lawn is this Einhell GC-EM 1030 designed for?
300 m sq
Does the Einhell GC-EM 1030 need to be assembled?
Yes, there is some assembly needed for the wheels and bars.
Not sure about this mower? Click here to see more Corded Electric Lawn Mower Reviews.
Einhell GC-EM 1030 Additional Specifications
|Cutting height steps||3|
|Cutting height max||70mm|
|Cutting height min||30mm|
|Cutting height adjustment||Axial Wheel|
|Typical Charging Time||N/A|
|Typical Mowing Time||N/A|
|Right or left start switch||Right|
|Battery power indicator||N/A|
|Grass bag filling indicator||No|
|Dimensions||60 x 38 x 31 cm|