McCulloch HT 5622 Review – Petrol Hedge Trimmer
McCulloch is better known for its excellent reputation with chainsaws. They have a long history of manufacturing machines to cut foliage, and they have extended this experience to this hedge trimmer. The McCulloch HT 5622 Petrol Hedge Trimmer also has smaller engine of 22cc and a shorter blade of 56 centimetres.
The McCulloch HT 5622 Petrol Hedge Trimmer is a nice package for the less experienced user, and this is a barebones machine which does not waste time on flashy extras. Comfort and reliability are McCulloch’s prime design concerns, and it shows.
- 2-Stroke, 22cc, 2365 rpm
- 0.5 L
- Double Reciprocating, 56cm (22-in)
- Rotatable Handle, Fixed U-Shaped Front Rail
The engine on this McCulloch HT 5622 Petrol Hedge Trimmer uses a 50:1 fuel to oil ratio, so it is more friendly to the environment and will smoke less. High ratio mixes more often means the engines are easier to start and less prone to getting clogged up with oil residue.
The first impression is that 22cc one on the small side for a trimmer engine. But this is an efficient machine and the shorter blade length needs less power. A smaller engine means less weight and a smaller fuel tank, so this is an easy machine to move about and hold over your head.
The blade on the McCulloch HT 5622 Petrol Hedge Trimmer is a standard dual-cutting blade made from steel. The long reach of the trimmer will make it more suitable for trimming bushes. it will also be good for shaping trees, as well as overcutting and levelling long hedgerows.
- The blade length is much shorter than the other models at 56cm. This is good for weight and price, but it does mean that you will have to do more passes.
- The teeth are rated to cut 22mm thick branches; this is a standard capability for a mid-range trimmer.
- There is a very small shrapnel guard under the front handrail, that would not completely protect the user. It is there more to stop branches getting stuck in the handle.
The air-filter box is in a convenient place on this McCulloch HT 5622 Petrol Hedge Trimmer, which is easy to open, for when you want to wash it. And if you want to get the most from the motor, cleaning the filter is something that you may want to do after 10 hours of engine running time.
The pull cord starter may seem weak for some, McCulloch has reduced the resistance by 40%. This is good in the sense that you do not need to pull as hard to start the engine, but the lack of effort that you need to put in may take some getting used to.
To hold the unit at different angles, the control handle rotates, so that you can keep your trimming straight. And the front handle is U-shaped to allow you to vary your grip.
McCulloch looks the part; it looks as if it will last a thousand years. Little differences, like the clear rubber cover over the kill switch, makes you think longevity. The McCulloch HT 5622 Petrol Hedge Trimmer is a small thing, simple and cheap to implement, but none of the other manufacturers do it.
The delicate parts of the engine and tank are also protected by a heat vented casing, that may add a little weight, but it is a great idea.
The front of the McCulloch HT 5622 Petrol Hedge Trimmer has a small guard that would do little to protect you from sharp flying objects. The guard is more of a guide for keeping the leaves in the line of the blade. As with any of these trimmers, if you want to be safe, buy safety gear. Invest in a decent pair of safety goggles at the time of buying.
McCulloch may have reduced the size of the guard for weight, but it will not do much. The throttle can only be activated by squeezing the top trigger with your thumb. You can twist the control handle to prune the side of a hedgerow. To do this, you need to depress a button on the left side of the unit. Fine if you are right-handed.
A nice touch on this McCulloch HT 5622 Petrol Hedge Trimmer is the sealing of the engine power switch inside a small silicone cover, to stop dust and debris clogging it up. And you have to wonder why more machines do not do the same thing.
McCulloch HT 5622 Petrol Hedge Trimmer User Manual Download
- Scratch-Resistant Protective Glasses
- 1L 2-Stoke Oil
- 1L Mixing Bottle
What’s Included in the Box?
- McCulloch HT 5622 Petrol Hedge Trimmer
- Instruction Manual
Pros & Cons
You could never say that McCulloch makes a bad product, it is a shame that they decided to not add at the very least a tool kit to the deal. The McCulloch HT 5622 Petrol Hedge Trimmer is a fine machine if you are looking for something smaller and easier to manage, but the shorter blade length will make everything take longer. The short blade also makes it more difficult to keep your lines straight, so this trimmer belongs in the shaping and short hedge line category.
Where should I purchase this McCulloch HT 5622 Petrol Hedge Trimmer?
- Ideal for frequent use the HT 5622 is a 22.7cc petrol powered hedge trimmer that has an power output of 0.65kW. The HT 5622 has a blade length of 56 cm and a blade gap of 22 mm
- The rear handle is possible to adjust in multiple positions for ergonomic work
- Weighing only 5.2 kg this petrol hedge trimmer also features dual action blades, reciprocating cutting, soft start, ergonomic adjustable handle, low noise engine, anti-vibration handles, auto return stop switch, tool-less air filter and a visible fuel tank
- Anti-vibration system: Yes
Last update on 2021-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Not sure about this Petrol Hedge Trimmer? Click here for Petrol Hedge Trimmer reviews.